Summer tips for pets
• Remember that some yard plants are toxic. These include sago palm, rhododendron and azalea. Those plants and the following plants have potentially toxic side effects: lily of the valley, oleander, rosebay, foxglove and
kalanchoe. If your pet eats any of these plants, call us or your primary care veterinarian.
• Cocoa mulch has the same effects on dogs as chocolate does, which includes vomiting, diarrhea, muscle tremors, increased heart rate, hyperactivity and seizures. Avoid using cocoa mulch if you have pets.
• Dogs and cats will need more water in the hotter months, so remember to keep plenty of fresh, clean water available whether they are indoors or outdoors.
• Fireworks should not be used around pets because they are dangerous and can cause trauma.
• Remember to keep your pet on heartworm and flea preventatives all year long to prevent additional veterinary care or flea treatments.