Preparing for Visit
Please complete the patient history form before your pet’s appointment.
- Please do not feed your pet after midnight the night before your appointment, unless your pet is diabetic.
- Please continue to give thyroid or seizure medication, antibiotics, and heartworm preventative prior to your appointment.
- Please do not clean your pet’s ears 24 hours prior to your appointment.
- If possible, bring labels of pet food in along with a list of medications that are currently being administered.
- Female pets cannot be in heat for intradermal allergy testing.
Recommended withdrawal times for medications if intradermal skin testing may be performed:
- Injected steroids (Depo, Vetalog) – please wait a minimum of 6 weeks after the last dose was given.
- Steroids given by mouth – please wait 4 weeks after the last Prednisone or Prednisolone given.
- Topical products containing steroids – please wait 3 weeks: owner should check ear and eye medications to see if they contain steroids.
- Antihistamines – 14 days of withdrawal before appointment.
Please note: Patients can still come in for evaluation even if the withdrawal times have not been met. We can possibly make your pet more comfortable and provide alternative recommendations based on the initial visit. Other tests that require specific withdrawal times can be performed at a later date if necessary.